Blue Cheese Tarts with Pear
- 1 pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup of crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/3 chopped roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons of macadamia nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pear, cored and diced finely
- 1 package of pre-baked mini pastry-pie tarts
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Combine cream cheese and blue cheese.
- Using a food processor, beat until creamy.
- Add whip cream, pepper and egg until blended.
- Sprinkle red pepper, pear, nuts and parsley.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
"They hardly make it to the dinner party."
Masala Marinated Olives
- 2 cups combined of black and green pitted olives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. each salt, paprika, cilantro, cumin seeds, garam masla and hot chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Fast fry herbs and spices in 1 tbsp. of olive oil for 1 minute.
- In a jar, combine olive oil, sugar, lemon and herb mixture.
- Shake well.
- Add olives and refrigerate (can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks in airtight container).
"These are fantastic on salads or in pasta."
Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls
- 1 pound of chicken breast, cubed
- For the batter please use:
- 1 cup of flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 egg
- Sift dry ingredients then add water, egg, and mix.
- Coat cooked chicken cubes.
- Deep fry for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Sweet and sour sauce
- 2/3 cups of water
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/3 cup of white vinegar
- 1/3 cup of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of pureed pineapple
- 1 inch cube of grated ginger
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.Submitted by: Catherine H., Kingsville
"Adding dried chilies really kicks it up a notch."
Shrimp Mini Quiches
- 1 package of mini tart shells, cooked
- 3/4 cup of small salad shrimp
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of thinly sliced spring onions
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese (dry)
- 1/2 cup of whip cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of lemon pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Mix egg, cream, onion, lemon pepper, salt, dill and cayenne.
- Put shrimp in shells and spoon in the mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
"I like to make one big pie too. To get the correct consistency I add cream cheese."
Maine Lobster Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups cooked Maine lobster meat, shredded
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon of seafood sauce
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or almond slivers
- 1 lemon
- Fresh parsley
- Soften the cream cheese and combine all the ingredients together.
- Add milk, if necessary to create a smooth consistency.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Garnish with lemon slices and parley.
"Great with crackers and crostini or just jammed into a bun."