Soups & Sauces
Gourmet Soups & Sauces for Every Taste
Soups and sauces can be a simple and inexpensive way of adding pizzazz and panache to any gourmet dining experience. Following is some general information to introduce you to the world of soups and sauces.
Sauces can be formed in a number of different ways. These are:
- purees, such as apple sauce
- mixed sauces, such as bread sauce
- strained sauces, such as Cumberland sauce
- sauces thickened with flour, such as brown or white sauces
- emulsions, any sauce made with diluted oils
Some of the more well-known sauces are salsa, pasta sauce, hollandaise, cocktail sauce, béchamel (white), tartar sauce, sweet-and-source sauce and horseradish. There are literally thousands more sauces available.
You can make your own sauces or purchase them from your local grocer. The internet is a great place to find unique sauces which also make wonderful gourmet gifts, on their own or as part of a gift basket.
Soups make an excellent appetizer for any gourmet meal, or they can even be served as the main course of a frugal gourmet meal.
Soups come in many different types:
- broth is the simplest base of soups
- consommé (clear soup) is rich in flavor, made with a broth that has been well strained
- creamed soup need not contain cream, but is any soup with liquefied ingredients
- chowder is any soup containing solid ingredients
- bisque is a cream soup made with shellfish
Flavors of soup are numerous - there is tomato, vegetable, chicken noodle, and hundreds more.
As with sauces, you can make soup on your own, but it is also great fun to buy tried and true gourmet recipes. There are many international soups you might also want to try. The internet is a great place to seek out fine gourmet soups.